Thursday, April 17, 2008

Amazed by Job

My bible study today focused on Job. I'm always deeply affected when reading this book. First of all, nothing in life seems that bad after you read about what Job went through. Seriously, I don't think any of us have experienced the number of horrible things happen all at once as Job did. Secondly, I am always amazed by Job's never-wavering faith. Completely Amazed.

First, God told Satan that "For there is no one like [Job] on the earth, a blameless and upright man fearing God and turning away from evil." What an incredible man he must have been for the God of heaven and earth to say such a thing. He's one of the first people I want to meet when I get to heaven! We can learn so very much from reading about this man.

So God told Satan he could take away and destroy all of Job's stuff, but he couldn't actually lay a hand on Job himself. Satan was convinced he could break Job's faith, and that he would actually curse God in the face of extreme adversity. Satan took armies, fire, and windstorms and wiped out all of Job's servants, animals, and children. And Job got news of these losses virtually all at once. His reaction always gets me in the gut:

"Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head, and he fell to the ground and worshiped. And he said, 'Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I shall return there. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.'
Through all of this Job did not sin nor did he blame God." Job1:20-22

So, you just hear that you have essentially lost your house, your cars, your business, everyone who works for you, and worst of all, your children. What would be your first reaction? That's why this passage is always SO powerful to me. I want so badly to be like that, but I know that my first reactions would be nothing like Job's. In fact, I think it would take me a long time to even be able to get down and worship like that after something so devastating. My immediate focus would be on myself: What am I going to do? Why has this happened?

The other part of this passage that really gets me is when Job says something we have heard so many times: "The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away." As a people, especially as Americans, I think, we have developed this intense sense of entitlement. Those are MY kids, MY servants, MY animals...why are you taking them away from ME? In fact, NOTHING belongs to us. Sure, we may have worked hard to "earn" it, so we think we have a right to it, but God GAVE EVERYTHING to us. Its not ours to keep. It doesn't even belong to us. The Lord blesses us when He decides to bless us and taken things away when He decides to do so. It takes me right back to that phrase: "The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away." As hard as it can seem at the time, I MUST accept that. Nothing is mine to control, keep, store away, whatever.

Then God allows Satan to strike Job with disease. JOB STILL WORSHIPS and DOES NOT SIN. Seriously, at that point, I would be looking up at the sky screaming, "Are you KIDDING me?!?!" But Job, in all his wisdom, says, "Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?" Job 2:10 Exactly. Job was greatly rewarded for his faithfulness through these horrible trials--trials God specifically gave Satan permission to inflict upon him.

I honestly think that one of the toughest lessons to learn in life is to continue to praise Him in the storm. The big, bad, this-really-sucks-when-is-this-going-to-be-over? storms. Especially when you see so many people around you that seem to be experiencing the exact joy and freedom you are longing for....it seems that no one else has to go through this crap that you have to experience. Why? Why NOW? WHY ME???

Well, why NOT me?

There is a song, that I think is by Casting Crowns that has made me cry many times while driving in my car. If I really listen to it, God tugs at my heart, helping me to truly worship Him:

I'll praise you in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For you are who you are
no matter where I am
And every tear I cry
You hold in your hands
You've never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I'll praise you in this storm

No comments: