Thursday, May 8, 2008

Identity Crisis

So, we've all heard of a mid-life crisis. But I'm having a hair color crisis. No, not like I accidentally died my hair blue like my best friend in high school (was that suppossed to be a secret? :)), but how my hair color is perceived by others. This fits right in with yesterday's writing about how other people perceive us...and yes, my audition went just fine, thank you.

Lately, people keep calling me blonde. Some of you may think: And? SO? There is something about women identifying ourselves as blonde, brunette, or redhead. There is a certain aspect of identity that goes with that, don't you agree ladies? People are always saying they feel kinda different when they drastically change their hair color, like it allows them to be a different person. Well, I didn't dye my hair. Nor do I want to dye my hair. I've always loved being a brunette. So is everyone color blind, or is my hair getting lighter? What the heck is going on?!?!

It all started a mere two years ago when I was sitting at my desk at a certain job that I am thankfully not in anymore. One of my office friends came to chat with me, and she said something like, "well, since your hair is blonde...." and I was like, WHAT DID YOU SAY?!?!?! I'm BRUNETTE. She was clearly surprised by my reaction and even started disagreeing with me, firmly stating my hair was clearly blonde. I was flabberghasted(sp?) that someone would say that to me. (No offense to blondes, I'm not saying that being a blonde is a horrible thing, its just not what I have ever thought myself to be).

Fast forward to last week when I'm getting my hair put in pincurls for my wig at the opera. The wig lady, who I have known for six years, says something about my hair being blonde....WHAT?!?!?!? I told her my hair is not blond. She has been a hair stylist for her entire life, is now a grandmother, and in her professional opinion: my hair is blond.

A few days ago at work, one of the student assistents came to my office and said, "this student says she wants to see the blond academic advisor, so I thought it must be either you or [truly blond girl]." I was like, WHAT IS GOING ON?!?! I'm NOT a blonde!!!!

Today I write in my facebook status that people think I'm blonde, and then people proceed to write me messages that yes, they have always thought I was blonde.

I feel like I'm having an identity crisis.

I have always thought I was a brunette (ok, my hair was blonde for the first year or two of my life. Like REALLY pale yellow blond). Up until two years ago, I have NEVER had ANYONE say I'm blonde. I feel like the very image I had of myself is not accurate somehow. Its a weird feeling.

Sure, we are just speaking of hair color. But its part of who I am. I have never identified with the whole blonde thing. Everyone in my family has brown hair. I have always loved being a brunette....but am I? I just went in the bathroom at work and looked at my reflection. Maybe my hair has gotten lighter...or maybe its this terrible lighting? My friend said "she can see both" in my hair, but when someone asked her how many blondes are in our office, she said, "one"--NOT me!

So, those of you that have known me for years: brunette or blonde? Please post and discuss.
(And is it blond or blonde? I just noticed that I have been very inconsistent in my spelling of that word in this posting. Sorry to those of you who are anal-retentive spellers.)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting my secret out! Just kidding, only blondes can actually dye their hair blue. ;)
Remember I was aiming for brown hair when I got blue.
I have never ever ever ever ever thought of you as a blonde. I've known you for over a decade now.
Send me a recent photo and I'll investigate this further.

Unknown said...

carrie, i have always thought of 'lissa and myself as blondes, not you...no offense. perhaps you are the darkest or the dirtiest of all blondes (no puns intended).

for what it is worth in the ten plus years i have known you, my perception of you has always been as a brunette...a smart, sassy, sexy one at that!!!

Michael said...

Not blonde. Nor blond. Just brown, even the darker side of brown, edging toward "almost black."

I was shocked that anyone would call your hair blond. As I read this blog post, I remembered that back in the day when I saw you more frequently, you were often with a very good friend whose hair was very blond. So I thought maybe it was just a contrast thing. And then I got to the comments... is that the same Alissa? Weird coincidence if so (and hi, Alissa!).

But I stopped seeing so much of your hair in 1996. Perhaps the Texas heat and sun is lightening it. You mentioned facebook, so I turned there for evidence, and I think that some of the earlier photos (say, in 2000) have undeniable dark-brown-haired Carrie in them. The later ones, though, I think are more open to debate, but only if you are surrounded by people with super dooper ultra black hair.

Anonymous said...

Totally brunette in my book! Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

You are brunette, Carrie. No question about it. You have to remember you live in Texas and well, people are really not the brightest stars in the sky down here...so if you want more analysis on that--if you are not black-haired, you are automatically blonde.

Anonymous said...

#2
Okay...first of all, like I've told you a bazillion times...I love your hair! I will admit there are times that it does look lighter. Saying "blonde" is a little bit of an exaggeration. But what do I know...
#1

Brenda said...

You my dear, have always been brunette! No other way around it. Now I myself have turned into a blonde and I am proud of it! I'll take blonde over gray any day!! :) xoxoob

Brenda said...

You my dear, have always been brunette! No other way around it. Now I myself have turned into a blonde and I am proud of it! I'll take blonde over gray any day!! :) xoxoob

brad, kate & ... said...

Hey there lady! Brad just told me about your blog this weekend, so i had to check it out!
You are a brunette in all ways! I loved this though - made me laugh! I used to be platinum blonde and it is interesting to see how people treat you based on yrou hair color!

Lee said...

well, i am one of those anal retentive spellers you mentioned, but in this case both "blond" and "blonde" are acceptable. =) for your part, however, you are brunette! even though i have known you less than two years, i have always thought so.

Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.