So, we've been dealing with a confusing and potentially expensive medical insurance situation. It's amazing how complicated that whole system is! Because my husbnad started a new job at the end of February, we had the choice to elect COBRA or buy some short-term stuff. We've been playing the game of waiting until the last possible deadline to do something without having to pay outrageous premiums. Things were looking pretty bleak. We thought we were going to have to pay a few thousand dollars, and it was starting to make me feel pretty stressed out. While I was getting ready this morning, I prayed out loud for God to resolve this issue for us today (I knew I would be speaking with someone on the phone about it later). Well, God provided me with a wonderful friend in the insurance field who has been very generous about taking time to research for us and explain everything in detail. And guess what? A few hours after my prayer, we discovered we only have to pay $140!!!! We were expecting almost $3,000 at the worst (which is what we thought it was earlier this week!). I can't tell you how grateful I am to God and my friend who has helped us. That prayer this morning made me recognize that God was behind this stressful situation the entire time, and I just had to wait to see the blessing He had planned all along. Even when I "know that" in my head, I tend to allow myself to be overwhelmed by stressful situations, and unfortunately tend to get snappy with my hubby when I'm stressed out. I really needed that reminder that God is ALWAYS behind it all......
My devotional reading this morning also highlighted how we can focus on ourselves in a situation instead of focusing God. The book I was reading mentioned how we tend to act in relationships and at work based upon other people. For instance, if our boss or co-worker isn't giving us what we need or making things difficult, its really easy to not work very hard because we are upset. Or, if a friend is dropping the ball and not calling or keeping in touch, we can retaliate by thinking, "she didn't call me, why should I call her?" Because we are suppossed to love that friend as Christ loves us, not as they are currently loving us. We are suppossed to work hard because we are working to be light in a world of darkness. This made me think about some specific things in my life where I need to step up. I need to do my best, regardless of what the people around me are doing, because I need to work for GOD. I need to be LIGHT. It doesn't matter whether or not other people hold up their end of the bargain.
So I'm working on it. Sometimes I work too hard on it, and then I end up right back in the first paragraph where I'm overwhelmed and stressed...and the circle continues. I have been doing more quiet times in the morning lately, and its helped me tremendously to start my day with my mind and my heart focused correctly. I do the QTs with a big cup of coffee, but they happen! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Coffee... good reminder. Glad to hear that God has helped the health insurance situation, and I'm sorry it's been stressful on you all lately. I am so spoiled with the Canadian system- my wife and I both work part-time and changing jobs doesn't affect it at all (just like changing jobs doesn't affect the water utility or your housing... so strange, this connection in the US), and it's about $100 per month for the whole family, with no co-pays. It's terrifying when thinking about moving back to the states about what we'll do, but it's a good reminder that God can work out the health care situation and bigger things than that too.
Post a Comment