First of all, thanks to my brunette supporters. Just a few days ago, I still had two co-workers arguing that I'm blonde.....WHATEVER!
I haven't blogged for a month. I keep encountering good topics, but it was a matter of finding the time to sit down and write about them. The office is pretty quiet right now, so here goes....
I had an interesting conversation with a few co-workers recently regarding the homeless. We were talking about whether or not we give cash to homeless people who ask for it. One of my co-workers and I were in agreement that we don't like to give them cash because we assume they will turn around and use it to buy drugs. I don't want my money used to finance a drug deal, plain and simple. Of course, there are some that really will use that money to go buy food....which is why I'd rather just directly hand them food.
One person said in San Francisco, they were handing out clean needles to the homeless for their drug use. What?!? He said that they are going to use drugs anyway, so why not try to prevent the spread of HIV by giving them clean needles? Now I don't know about you, but I would have a serious problem if I found out my tax money went to supplying homeless people with drug needles. Are you kidding me?
But as this discussion progressed, we realized this problem--the homeless--is so incredibly HUGE. Can't these lazy people just go get a job? Well, maybe not. But maybe so. Some people figure out that welfare will pay them more than a minimum wage job...and you don't have to work for it! Wouldn't it be nice to stand on the corner of a major intersection and make $35-40,000 a year? The local Houston news claimed some do just that. However, some people have serious mental illnesses or physical disabilities that make it hard or impossible to be employed. Society in general seems to have the opinion that these are just a bunch of lazy drug addicts who won't go find work....but that's often not the case.
So what can we do? Get the drugs and therapy all of these people so desparately need? That's so expensive! Homeless shelters are just trying to get money to FEED and clothe these people, let alone get them proper medical attention. How can we fix this? Will we EVER fix this?
If you think about it, like one of my co-workers said, you and I are just a few missed mortgage/rent payments away from homelessness. Not to stress you out, but let's say that you were fired tomorrow and couldn't find another job. What would you do? Fortunately, many of us have parents or other family members who would help us out until we found work again....but what if you didn't? And this dragged on for a few years? And what if you have children? Its a scary thought. That's what some of these people have experienced.
We didn't come to any enlightening conclusions. If there was an obvious solution to this, it would have happened already. Next time a homeless person asks you for money, at least smile and be empathetic to their situation. You have to be pretty desparate to walk up to a stranger and beg, don't you think? Maybe you could give them that bottle of water in your bag that you haven't opened yet, or spare that extra granola bar you were saving for a snack. The bottom line is, we don't know their story, but they are asking you for help.
Now I have to admit, I ignore a lot of homeless people that approach me downtown. Usually I'm walking alone at night, leaving the opera, so I am concerned for my safety when a complete stranger approaches me as I walk to my car. Use common sense...I'm not suggesting opening up your purse when you are alone downtown at night! Be safe!
Its a hard subject to think about, but its good to think more about what it must be like to walk in their shoes.....what is it like not to have your basic needs met each day? And maybe that man on the corner can't get a job. Maybe he really did try, and now he's just desparate to feed his kids. Just think about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment